I bought strawberries from Good Earth today which were only 95 cents a pint! Can you believe it? It's rare to buy anything for less than a dollar nowadays. Nothing quite as satisfying as chocolate and strawberries...such a delictable combination.
1 1/4 c. spelt/kamut/or whole wheat flour OR 1 cup & 2 TBS. white flour
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour/white flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. + 2 TBS. sugar (I used sucanat)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 c. water
2 TBS. basalmic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 TBS. oil & 3 TBS. pureed banana OR 1/4 cup canola oil
Cook at 350 F. Mix dry ingred. Mix wet ingred. seperately. Mix wet & dry, do not over mix. Bake for 23-25 minutes. I used 2 round pans for a layered cake. Let the cakes cool before frosting.
Frost with chocolate hazelnut cream frosting and add fresh strawberries in between layers and/or on top.
Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Frosting
1 3/4 non-dairy chocolate chips (I like the Sunspire brand, grain-sweetened)
1 12 oz. package silken extra-firm tofu + 3/4 cups
1/4 cup hazelnut butter or peanut or almond butter (I happened to have hazelnuts on hand and made it into butter with my Blendtec)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (I think honey might work here, but I did use the brown rice syrup which seems stickier so it's good for thickening the frosting)
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Melt the chocolate on a double broiler on low heat. Puree in blender or food processor all ingred except for chocolate, then add chocolate. Put in refridgerator for 3 or more hours to cool and thicken.
1 comment:
Yummy! Have any leftovers?
Post a Comment