Sunday, October 5, 2008

Chimichangas & Cinnamon Lime Quinoa with Toasted Almonds and Apricots....

I tried out a few new recipes from the book I absolutely love: Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan

I usually modify recipes so I use the recipe book as more of a source of inspiration rather than for specific instructions.

Here are my recipes:

These are MUY DELICIOSO! The flavors are like a fiesta in your mouth, so don't skimp on any of the spices. It's not too spicy but has a little punch. Yum, yum.


Gimme Chimme's (Chimichangas)

1-2 TBS. olive oil (or use water for lower fat content)
1 c. onion, (I LOVE sweet mayan onions from Costco)
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 TBS. chili powder
1 TBS. chipotle sauce
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. sea salt
3 cups. julienned zucchini (or you could use bell peppers)
1 1/2 c. tomatoes chopped
2-3 cups cooked whole pinto beans
1 c. extra-firm tofu, cut into very small squares (you can omit the tofu and add more beans if you'd like)
3 TBS. basalmic vinegar
8 whole wheat tortillas (Joseph made his famous homemade whole wheat tortillas, they are so simple, yet the taste and texture is incredible!)
1/4 c. olive oil (for frying)
fresh lime wedges for garnish
fresh cilantro leaves for garnish

On medium heat, saute all the spices and chipotle with the onions and garlic in the oil or water until soft. Add zucchini and tomatoes. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add tofu and beans and saute for another 3 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Remove mixture from stove, add the vinegar. Place about 1/3 c. of mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Fold bottom and top edge over filling, then roll up, so it's ready to fry. I made 1/2 the chimichangas fried and 1/2 only baked (the baked are obviously lower in fat). Then fry up the chimmes in the oil over medium/high heat. Once crisp, throw in the oven to thoroughly heat, for about 10-15 minutes. I thought the baked were just as crispy as the fried, and just as tasty.

Once the menfolk trouped off to priesthood, Kristin, Michelle and I cleaned up dinner, the kids ran around like a bunch of crazy banshees and we made snickerdoodles and 5-spice almond cookies. I have to share the recipe for the cookies, they are to die for.

Kristin said they, "taste like an autumn day." After I had one, I had to agree with her.

Here's the fantastic recipe, perfect for this time of year:

5-Spice Almond Cookies
(again this recipe inspired from the above mentioned cookbook)

So, I'm not very good at measuring things, I never have been much of a stickler with the measuring spoon, I just, let's say use the "eyeball" method, meaning I dump some of this and that in, until it looks about right. I don't recommend this so I'm going to give you the measurements, at least a guestimation of what the measurements might have been (like I said before, I don't quite stick to the original recipe, and quite frankly, currently my only measuring spoon is a tablespoon, so...). Feel free to add a little more flour if the mixture is too wet, it should be a pretty firm consistency and hold it's shape.

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (white flour works too, I guess, but not as healthy..)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. evaporated cane juice (or plain ol' sugar)
1/4-1/2 c. chopped almonds
1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 tsp. total of a mixture of the following spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves (go easy on the nutmeg and cloves, a little goes a long way!)
2/3 c. pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
1/3-1/2 c. canola oil (sorry, although this recipe is vegan, it's not completely guilt free!)
2 TBS. evaporated cane juice (for topping the cookies)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the dry ingredients, except for the almonds. Seperately mix the wet, then combine and gently add the almonds. DON'T overmix! Put the dough in rounded tablespoons (should look like a perfect ball shape) on cookie sheet. Gently press down on the balls to flatten slightly. Sprinkle with a little suga' and bake in the oven for 11 minutes--no longer or they will be crispy and dry, bleck! so put that timer on. Let cool for at least 20 minutes, unless you like them hot hot hot, right out of the oven. We made them into icecream sandwiches putting some Rice Dream icecream in between. Delish.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Deja said...

Such a pleasure to get these fabulous recipes and see the pictures of your wonderful kids!

I need to try those chimmies. And those almond cookies.

mmmmmmmmmmm.