Monday, July 20, 2009

Hernandez Family Reunion

This weekend was amazing.

We got together with Joseph's mom's family (the Hernandez side) for a little family reunion. I had met most of the family members from this side, but not everyone, so it was fun to meet more of Joseph's cousins. The Vantassel cousins (there are 7 of them) are a ton of fun. I so enjoyed getting to know them more. These are the type of people that when you're around them, you remember why you like to be alive. They are all very easy going, friendly, and did I mention, a lot of fun??

On Friday night we had a potluck dinner at Murray park. Saturday morning we all hiked the Y (kids and all!) at 7 am. I carried Amalia on my back, and since I got a late start, I had to literally run up the mountain in order to catch up. It was a great workout, I think I could count it for my "long run" for the week, even though it probably was only about 3, 3.5 miles total. It was a workout! The view of the valley and Utah lake (I love this about living in Provo, we're so close to the mountains) was beautiful, and when we all got up there, there were about 100 polynesian youth singing and being loud (youth conference of some sort?), and it was still not too hot.

We had breakfast at Kiawanis park, followed by volleyball, play, and a barbaque at Alonzo's house.

That night we went to the Jordan River temple. All of the adults were there to go through a session because Colleen, one of the cousins, was going through for the first time to recieve her endownment. It was a very spiritual experience, one that further solidified my knowledge that families can be together forever. It was so neat to be with my extended family and to realize that this is what heaven will feel and be like. Our family relationships are so important and are not limited to our immediate family. I feel so blessed to have such wonderful people to call my family.
On a different note, one of the Vantassel cousins, Vivian makes these adorable bows and clips. I bought several from her, and am excited to start doing more creative things with Amalia's hair. She also recommended checking out www.hair4myprincess.blogspot.com.
All dolled up, with nowhere to go....


2 comments:

Colleen said...

Janae! I love your post and did I mention how much I love your little Amalia!! I think you guys are the greatest and I loved getting to hang out with you and your cute family!! Thanks for coming on Saturday! The temple is such an awesome place to be!!

Melissa DeLeon said...

Gah! Amalia suddenly looks like a little girl... where did my baby girl go? :(
Haha, j/k
Very cute clips - and clever, if they can stay in baby-fine hair.