So here are some of my resolutions, in no particular order:
#1 Love more. IE. more kisses and hugs for my kids and dear husband. I mean really, who doesn't need a hug?
#2 Cut out the time and energy vacuums in my life: worry, anger, resentment, laziness.
#3 Create meaningful memories with my kids. Like when they get out all of the markers and start drawing all over the walls while I'm in the other room changing Amalia's diaper, I'll laugh.
#4 Really read some books. I mean, actually finish a book. Better yet, let's not get too ambitious, try to read 20 minutes without falling asleep.
#5 That piano's getting dusty. I WILL learn how to play more than a one-handed version of "I am a child of God."
#6 Read the Book of Mormon. Daily. I'm keeping it that simple.
#7 Not fall asleep while watching a movie with my husband.
#8 Engage my brain in something political, engaging, logical, critical, beautiful, poetic, literary, spiritual, and/or cultural every day.
So what is it with new year's resolutions? Some people think they're a waste of time. I'm always up for an excuse to make a goal. I'm all about goals. In high school I was especially notorious for long lists of annoyingly ambitious desires. And to be honest, to constantly have a goal dangled in front of my nose, just slightly out of my reach was a little nerve racking, but satisfyingly challenging. That said, I like the idea of what a goal represents: becoming something better. Change (that's kinda catchy, should be a political slogan don't you think?).
As part of my yoga certification training our teacher told us to let go of ambition. Forget about goals. Well I think that there is a point to made by saying that often the in the pursuit of the goal we focus on the end product and neglect to enjoy the process. I'm still very human, fraught with all sorts foibles as well as bad/annoying habits I'd like to drop, severely lacking in the talent area, and I can't think of a better way to get past these than to maybe somewhat too optimistically write down a detailed list of to do's and to do nots. Besides, I forgot to mention how entertaining it is to go back and look at old resolutions: date 100 guys this year (yah, I think that was my freshman year of college); lose 15 pounds by Spring (also my freshman year); talk less, listen more. Hmmm, I think I'll start working on that last one right now.

4 comments:
I like goals, too. Well, like and hate them. Yours sound like good, broad, beautiful ones. I wish you much success and joy.
Your blog continues to be wonderful. Thank you sharing your pictures, heart and words of wisedom. We had a delightful time thanks to you and the rest of the family when we were in Utah. Now go and have a wonderful year.
PA
What a great new years post!
I have made a few resolutions myself this year.
Thanks for sharing yours with us.
Happy New Year.:)
I had a great comment and it got erased. Call me and I'll tell you what it was! :)
Post a Comment