Here's what we ate:
Mushroom & Wild Rice Timbales.
They tasted so earthy and stuffing like, reminded me a bit like meatloaf, without the meat of course. Joseph laughed when I said this. I suppose to a carnivore this might sound funny. Joseph wouldn't touch the Timbales, it was heavily laced with mushroom gravy. If mushrooms are a visible part of the food, or if he knows it's one of the ingredients, he won't so much as glance at it.
Yams with cranberry sauce.
So simple, yet so delicious. I just boiled then mashed the yams and added nothing but a little bit of rice milk. I love yams/sweet potatoes because they require very little additional season or spice. Pretty much good as is. The cranberry sauce was oh so simple as well: just cranberries and maple syrup with a dash of salt and basalmic vinegarette for a wee bit of tartness.
Lemon broiled green beens.
Again, a lovely dish because of it's simplicity. This green beans where long and big, crunchy and very satisfyingly healthy feeling. Just a splash of lemon juice, ample amounts of salt and freshly ground pepper, put it in the oven on broil for 10 minutes or so and whala, deliciously healthy green beans.
To drink: Blueberry pomengrante sparkling lemonade.
And for dessert.......
Chocolate pumpkin pie. The crust was chocolate, tasted like crushed Oreo cookies, without the filling. I bought this at the new Sunflower Farmer's Market, my new favorite grocery store. When I asked Joseph how he liked it, he said it was good, he wasn't sure what it was...was it chocolate? was it pumpkin? it was both. I topped it with a rich cream and chocolate flakes. It's not often I make a dessert as rich as this one, so I savored each bite.
And the best part about this meal....not only was it completely plant-based, but it was full of flavor and texture, color, and spice and no one left the table feeling like they needed to waddle away.
3 comments:
Delicious!! I wish I'd been there to try the timbale, I LOVE mushrooms! I also made pumpkin pies, one of them was made without eggs (I used flax seed substitute because I ran out!) It had a different flavor, but wasn't bad. Jeff really liked it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, we miss you up here!!
Sooooooooooooooo yummy!
sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment