Have you ever stood in line for what seemed like hours, only to find out, when it was your turn that you could not do/get what you wanted?! That was my voting experience on Tuesday.
I voted. Yes, I did. Although my vote may not actually be looked at for another week or two, since I had to vote provisionally (Word of warning: DON'T register to vote through the DMV!), code for your vote will count, but not for a week or two, long after the election results have been declared. But at least I supported the principle of making my voice heard, right?
Politics are an interesting thing--often devisive, heated, polorized, the list of negative connotations goes on and on. This is what deters a lot of people from being involved in politics, let alone political discussions.
I don't believe one must be articulate or have a degree in Political Science, Law, or the like to be an informed voter. I often think of Jimmy Stewart's character in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. He had little more than a love for his country, integrity, and a will to do good. I'd like to believe that people from both sides of the political aisle, Republican, Independent, Democrat share these basic principles, although we have very different views of how these ideals can be achieved. I hope that with this new political season, or even era, perhaps, we CAN embark in change, as Obama has so tirelessly preached. There are problems enough to tackle outside of us, I hope that we will unite. Because the truth is, I believe America is strong enough to fight any external enemy. Internal conflicts, however, can and will quickly bring America to it's knees. I'm the first to say that politically, I do not agree with Obama on very many issues. That said, I believe in the democratic process which elected him, and without compromising on moral issues and principles, I will support him as our commander-in-chief.
One last thought, everyone stresses the importance of the President. He sets the tone for the nation and acts as the spokesperson of America to the world. While his job IS important, I believe local and state are governments are just as important. Those leaders have a lot more power than we acknowledge. So while Obama has made some lofty promises, some of those are sort of out of his realm of responsability and lie rather at the feet of our local governments, and rightly so.
Thoughts, anyone?????
12 years: Can kids ruin marriage?
9 years ago
6 comments:
I think we have to remember that all presidential candidates promise a lot of things that they can't do. Steve keeps telling me that a president has no control over the economy, but yet, we the people, sometimes blame or praise a president for a good or bad economy. It is up to our local government to make changes that we want. That's how things get done. You are right. I think back to the time when we were on Miss Sunnyside court and Lindsee wanted to do everything that we wanted to do. Even something as small as Miss Sunnyside and her court, can't get everything done. We need to remember that, and just try to make changes in our lives and write to those that can make changes for our city, county, state, and nation.
I often feel that voting is a little silly, since my "individual" choices often get washed away in the sea of "pre-decided." What i mean is that it is hopeless to vote for a Democratic presidential candidate when you live in Utah, and it is equally hopeless to vote for a Republican in Washington, Oregon, or California.
Sorry to hear that your registration in Utah was screwed up! But I have a special place in my heart for your voting district, because it was MY 1ST voting district and I voted for my first time at the elementary school there in Provo on 2nd South and 4th E! Ahhh... the memories....
I like the way you said it - we do need to support our new president and hope that everyone will unite in this country. I totally agree that no president can do everything they promise - - so it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years! Will Obama truly be able to change things the way he wants? I also agree with Melissa's comment - - sometimes it is totally frustrating to live in Washington state and feel like my vote doesn't really matter. The views of Eastern Washington compared to the Seattle, Tacoma area are so different. But because the West side has so many more people . . . we always loose out. I am sure you know all about this! This goes for more than the presidential race - but all of the other propositions and issues. Maybe you have heard of this, there was a proposition to allow doctors to prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients- basically give terminally ill patients the ability to commit suicide. This is totally different than making a patient comfortable with pain meds until they pass away, even if it may make them die faster (they do this in hospice)- which I am not against. This is actually giving people lethal amounts of drugs to commit suicide. Anyway- I was horrified that it passed. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.
I just read a post on another friend's blog that was perfect for this discussion. http://bishopfamily1234.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-opinon.html. I love the quote she put on the post.
Thanks Becky for your feedback. I really enjoyed your friend's post. She must be from Utah to be a Bob Lonsberry fan. I listen to him almost every morning. I didn't know about the medical proposition you mentioned. I'll have to look into that. Very interesting....
Well, as I had a late nap, I am up much too late, but had to comment. I agree with you Janae. I also believe the time is far past for us to sit on our laurels. It is time for us to be actively involved in KNOWING what is going on in our government, KNOWING more about our constitution and laws, KNOWING more of what our senators and congressmen are doing, and KNOWING more about the fundamental moral issues of family/marriage/and life that are the foundation of our country. Then it is our duty to discuss, share, and stand up for the moral right, to do all in our power to help others realize the importance of their voice and encourage our lawmakers in passing moral laws, especially in regards to family.
Post a Comment