I almost wept as I picked him up, for the last time, signing him out, saying good-bye to his teachers. Is this what motherhood does to you? I'm either on the verge of tears, or fighting back the temptation to yell at my kids, "Turn off that water!" (for some reason, my kids have a fixation with water--bath water, sprinkler water, dish water, water in cups, water in bowls, it is their ultimate toy) or, "Share!" "Stop doing that!" [I have no pretensions, no, I am not ALWAYS a sweet, soft-spoken, diplomatic mother]. Back to the preschool scene. I can't say how much I loved Hyrum's teachers. They were sweet and kind and they LOVED him. In fact, Miss Gwen, one of the teachers aids parting words to Hyrum was, "Be a good boy. Love you." Again, me: stone-cold face on the outside, blubbering baby on the inside.
Here's an end-of-the-year note to Hyrum from his teachers:
May 23, 2010
Dear Hyrum:
It was fun seeing you yesterday before going to the zoo [as part of his preschool, the whole family got to go to Hogle Zoo]! I hope you and your family had a great time!
All your teachers love you Hyrum and have enjoyed having you in our pre-school class! We hope you enjoy kindergarten this coming Fall.
Thank you for being such a good boy and so willing to learn!
Much love,
Miss Gwen, Miss Jennifer, and Miss Jodie
P.S. Thank your mom and dad for being such a great support! Keep choosing the right!
His teachers really were fantastic. It's funny, because I don't know of anywhere else in the world where I'd be able to run into his teachers at the temple (it happened a few times!).
Hyrum LOVED his "lunch school" (he ate lunch every day there, and yes, they accommodated and it was all vegan, albeit lots of soy cheese, soy milk, and veggie burgers, not really what we eat at home, but I can't complain!). He made a lot of friends, went on many field trips, did art projects, had reading and play time. I'm so grateful that he had this opportunity because it gave him a chance to learn and explore and me a chance to have more one on one time with Asher and Amalia. I think I may miss his preschool as much as he will. On Monday I told him that this week was his last week of preschool. His face began to scrunch up, and he cried. He was very sad. I tried to reassure him that now it will be summer time--story time at the library, trips to the swimming pool, camping, playing with his cousins more, long days spent outside riding bikes, running through the sprinkler, playing in the sand box...
4 comments:
Love, love, love your kids! Hyrum is getting to be so grown up, Asher is as silly as ever, and Amalia has SO MUCH HAIR! (Where did my baby girl from last summer go?)
Those are some very sweet teachers indeed. Hopefully they will continue to be there for Asher when he starts... although, they probably don't know what they are getting into. :D
How sweet that Hyrum's teacher wrote him a note!!!!! Sounds like he went to a wonderful preschool.
OH and i love your hair.
I feel the same way. Blubbering all the time. I dread the thought of sending Grace to kindergarten. Scares me and saddens me... why does every moment have to be full of so much emotion?
And... I KNOW Miss Jennifer! She was in my freshman ward! What a small world. She really is one of the sweetest people.
Thank you so much for sharing your family's tender moments with us. I could echo what the others have said in their comments. We miss you guys terribly and look forward to seeing you soon.
Papi
Post a Comment