Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Years Thanks

Somehow, in the whirl of things, I haven't picked up my camera, in like a month. I swear we took Christmas pictures, but I have none to show. And I've been a bad blogger, having neglected sharing the intimate details of our family life the past while.

But we're good.

Joseph is rearing up to go to D.C. (that's lawyer/political/"in-the-know" speak for Washington D.C., not sure I'm in that club) next weekend to compete in a national trial advocacy competition. Turns out Joseph REALLY likes the confrontation, drama, and pressure of the courtroom (I don't know if it's exactly like it is in the movies, but he does fancy himself a prosecutor type). He's got an internship this semester working for Provo city and is enjoying a far more lax semester in terms of workload and stress.

I've started a new semester at UVU. I work out with bright and eager students, have access to all sorts of fun exercise equipement (ever worked out on a BOSU?) and get PAID to do this? This job is only second to my FAVORITE job of all time, which is teaching sister missionaries at the MTC. Every morning. Monday-Saturday. 6 am. It's only 30 minutes, but I try to cram in as much action, sweat, and fun as possible in those 30 minutes. I'm the only teacher and it's only for the sister missionaries. It's optional for the sisters, and there are usually 10-25 sisters there. Wish there were more, but I understand some people don't want to wake up 30 minutes earlier than necessary, especially when their day is jam packed. Here's our schedule:

Monday: Step Aerobics
Tuesday: Yoga
Wednesday: Floor/Hi-Lo Aerobics
Thursday: Pilates
Friday: Kickboxing (yes, at the MTC!)
Saturday: Toning with the band

Amalia finally started walking about a month ago. She's talking more than ever, which makes for some funny and cute moments throughout the day. She's getting better at bossing us around, which isn't hard after all. She's the princess. And there's nothing to be done about it.

Asher is mostly potty trained (hurray!), although some days he likes to revert back to his baby days (while trying my patience). Hyrum is on the path to reading and loves preschool. He is especially fond of making things with paper and tape.

January has typically been a dreary and cold month that I wish would just go away. But this year is different. I don't know exactly why. Maybe the kids are bigger and staying indoors all day is not complete torture because now we can play games, read books, do more interactive things? I think the hardest part of motherhood so far were the two years of Hyrum and Asher, when they were babies. 15 months a part. That was hard. But now, although they are up to mischief most of the time, they aren't in diapers, they can talk with me. I like this stage. I love this stage.

I feel more fulfilled than I have in my life, and I think it comes down to my kids and my husband. Both give me great purpose and joy. I'm grateful to have them.

Looks like we're off to a new year with a great start. I wake up every day excited, looking forward to the next new thing the kids will say or do. Excited to teach my classes, work on the house, teach (or be taught by) the kids. I realize not everyone is as gung-ho about motherhood or living in general, so I'm especially grateful for that.

3 comments:

donna said...

Wow, how cool Joseph gets to speak in D.C. How long will he be gone?

I have never tired Pilates. I heard it is a really good work out.

Janae @ Bring-Joy said...

Just a few days.

Pilates is an awesome workout! A great way to firm up your body without looking bulky. A lot of fun, too.

Melissa DeLeon said...

Very cool stuff going on -- thanks for sharing!